This was a very disturbing event: the day after one of the coldest days on record (low of minus 6), a house about three blocks from the office caught fire. The fire chief said the stairs acted like a chimney, sucking smoke upstairs. Within a matter of minutes, seven children were dead. It made national news. I took a lot of pictures of terrible things that no person should ever have to live through as a parent or relative. This photo garnared a third place in the NCPA competition. It was taken on January 22, 1985.
Copyright 2012 Ricky Stilley Photography